- These are three quite different squash recipes, illustrating the versatility of the vegetable.
- Who would come here who doesn't want to hear more about squash‽
I used a smallish (probably 2-3 lb) butternut squash for this dish, but other varieties of winter squash will also work. To roast squash, halve it, scoop out the seeds and place on a lightly oiled (foiled if you don't want to scrub) baking sheet. Bake at 375° for 35-60 minutes. Check at 30 minutes and poke the squash at its thickest part, then estimate how much longer until it's tender or check every 5-10 minutes.
Squash, Coconut & Chickpea Curryvegan, gluten-free, nut-free
Takes about 20 minutes, serves 3-4
- about 2 lb winter squash, roasted and cut into 1" cubes
- 1 onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp brown mustard seed
- ½ tsp. fenugreek seed
- 1 tsp. cumin seed
- ½ tsp. turmeric
- ½ tsp. coriander
- ½-1 tsp. red pepper flakes
- ½-1 tsp. salt
- 1 15 oz. can chick peas, drained
- 1 can coconut milk
Simmer for a few minutes, adjust seasoning and serve over rice. Cilantro is also nice addition right at the end, too.