I've been making it with honey and topping it with chevre, but that's easily changed to make it vegan.
Magenta Lentil Salad
Grain/Gluten-Free, Optionally Vegan
- 1 c. brown lentils
- 1 c. urad dal (whole) ← you can sub green/French lentils for either or both of these
- 1 small/med. beet, grated
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 5-6 leaves kale, stemmed and cut into thin ribbons
- 1 smallish cucumber (5-6"), seeded and cut into ½” cubes
- 1 scallion, sliced
- 3-4 sprigs mint (10-15 leaves), minced
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1-2 Tblsp. honey/agave syrup
- 2 Tblsp. olive oil
- zest & juice of one lemon
- ½ jalapeño pepper, seeded & minced (optional)
- 2-3 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. ground black pepper
Prep veggies and herbs and mix together in a 3 qt or larger bowl. Mix together dressing ingredients in a small bowl. Add dressing and lentils to bowl and toss.
Crumbling in some plain chevre takes it up another level, but it's pretty good without, too.